- needs permission to enter or remain in the UK.
- is subject to immigration control for any other reason.
Many people who have been detained have claimed asylum at some point. People can also be detained if they:
- breach the terms of their work, travel or student visas.
- have entered the country illegally.
The Government says that certain people should only be detained under very exceptional circumstances. These include people:
- with serious mental and physical health conditions.
- who have been tortured.
We know, however, that these people are often detained nonetheless.