Our volunteers undertake to visit one or more detainees regularly, listening and caring about what happens to them. Although we cannot affect the outcome of their case, we can help to:
- reduce their feelings of isolation
- increase their connectedness with the outside world
- improve their emotional well-being.
The main services/activities we provide are:
- our one-to-one visiting scheme with dedicated Befrienders, generally visiting women who have no visitors or whose family and friends live far away
- regular large-scale social events open to all detainees such as our Summer fête and Christmas party, organised in partnership with Serco (the Centre’s operator)
- well-attended weekly drop-in sessions open to all detainees inside the restricted area of the Centre
- practical support in the form of clothing, underwear, shoes, blankets, suitcases, etc. for the many people detained with few or no belongings
- mobile phone credit to keep in touch with loved ones, Befrienders, charities and solicitors.