Some facts and figures
- Some 30,000 people are detained each year in the UK.
- The Centre can detain up to 400 people in prison-like conditions.
- Its average monthly occupancy in 2016 was 302.
- The 222 women we visited in 2016 were detained for an average of 95 days.
- Of the 4,433 people detained in YW in 2016, 70.56% were granted temporary admission or release.
- In 2016, only 944 of the 4,433 people detained at YW were returned to their country of origin (21.29%) – posing the obvious question as to why were they were detained in the first place?
- Some men are detained in Yarl’s Wood – there is a small unit for couples, and a short-term facility for men undergoing initial screening.