Our mission statement sums up what our aims are as a charity – ‘We visit those held in Yarl’s Wood Immigration Removal Centre, aiming to affirm human dignity and restore self esteem by listening and offering befriending support.’
- Are you a good listener?
- Can you listen with empathy without taking on board someone else’s suffering?
- Are you able to remain non-judgemental?
- Can you commit to a regular one hour weekly visit (plus travel and queuing time)
- Can you give us at least 6 months of volunteering?
The women in Yarl’s Wood are detained indefinitely and our befrienders will visit them until they leave the centre, which could be over a year.
We run regular and a full training and selection day (from 10am to 4pm) for prospective Befrienders. We are currently updating and planning your training needs and will add session dates in the new year. Please bear with us and keep an eye on this page. Thank you for your interest – and patience.
However, in the meantime, we are pleased to say we have set the 2018 dates for our information sessions at our office at 43 Bromham Road, Bedford, MK40 2AA. The sessions run from 7pm until 8pm on these dates:
- Thursday 10th May 2018
- Wednesday 6th June 2018
- Thursday 13th September 2018
- Wednesday 3rd October 2018
Please book your place using Eventbrite: