Our mission statement sums up what our aims are as a charity – ‘We visit those held in Yarl’s Wood Immigration Removal Centre, aiming to affirm human dignity and restore self esteem by listening and offering befriending support.’
- Are you a good listener?
- Can you listen with empathy without taking on board someone else’s suffering?
- Are you able to remain non-judgemental?
- Can you commit to a regular one hour weekly visit (plus travel and queuing time)
- Can you give us at least 6 months of volunteering?
The women in Yarl’s Wood are detained indefinitely and our befrienders will visit them until they leave the centre, which could be over a year.
Our information sessions are held at our office at 43 Bromham Road, Bedford, MK40 2AA and now we can offer both daytime and evening sessions. Please come along to find out more about how you can help.
The daytime sessions run from 2.30pm until 3.30pm on these dates:
- Thursday 24th May 2018
- Thursday 6th September 2018
And the evening sessions run from 7pm until 8pm on these dates:
- Thursday 10th May 2018
- Wednesday 6th June 2018
- Thursday 13th September 2018
- Wednesday 3rd October 2018
We also run a full training and selection day (from 10am to 4pm) for prospective Befrienders. The next dates are:
- Saturday 16th June 2018
- Saturday 13th October 2018
Please book your place for either using Eventbrite. We look forward to seeing you: